The thought of doing the IELTS Test can be scary, but at Verbal Heroes we’re determined to help you do your best. This week, we’re looking at the words and phrases that you can use in your IELTS writing test to increase your band score.
While we don’t recommend memorising phrases to say or write in the test, we do believe that learning about these new words and phrases, and how to use them, would be hugely beneficial to you. We want to help you write naturally and clearly while incorporating your new vocabulary to ensure you gain top marks.
Read on to learn about our top ten words and phrases that you can use in your IELTS writing test.
Meaning: Felt or experienced very strongly, or in an extreme way.
- Social media has had a profound impact on the world.
- Her knowledge of history is profound.
Synonyms: Deep, Strong, Powerful, Intense
To put it another way
Meaning: Used when you want to explain something in a different way to make it easier to understand.
- To put it another way, there will be another election.
- To put it another way, Adil needs help studying for his exam.
Synonyms: "In other words…”, "To paraphrase…”, "Simply put…”, "This is to say…”
Meaning: To disagree with something or someone.
- The community opposed the ban.
- The opposing sides failed to reach an agreement.
Synonyms: Resist, Fight, Withstand, Defy
A key thing to remember
Meaning: Used to make an important point.
- A key thing to remember is that hard work pays off.
- A key thing to remember is how damaging excessive waste is to our environment.
Synonyms: "Something important to remember…”, "A key point to keep in my mind…”
Meaning: To represent or describe something or someone.
- She was portrayed as a hard worker.
- The book portrayed the town as quiet and peaceful.
Synonyms: Depict, Represent, Describe, Show
Meaning: Used to add information or an opinion that supports a previous one.
- The weather was warm, furthermore, the clouds had cleared.
- The traffic had gotten worse over the years, furthermore, the government was not willing to invest in the improvement of the transport infrastructure.
Synonyms: "Additionally…”, "By the same token…”, "Moreover…”
Meaning: Something that is very exciting and interesting.
- Elina had produced a very compelling advertisement.
- The story was very compelling.
Synonyms: Gripping, Captivating, Fascinating
Meaning: Not considered or being influenced by something.
- Notwithstanding the evidence, the jury failed to reach a verdict.
- Injuries notwithstanding, the team won the final.
Synonyms: Despite, "In spite of…”, However, Nonetheless
Meaning: To make someone recall something or feel an emotion.
- The smell evoked memories of being in parent’s home.
- The images evoked a strong response from viewers.
Synonyms: Recall, Induce, Remind, Conjure
Meaning: To be or give a typical example of something.
- His work exemplifies the style of the period.
- The country’s economic growth is exemplified by the development of the transport infrastructure.
Synonyms: Demonstrate, Represent, Illustrate, Show